What are our men’s rings made of and how do their properties vary?
Style counts, but so does the correct metal…
Why choose a Titanium Ring?
Titanium wedding bands are growing in popularity because they don’t tarnish at room temperature and are very strong. Titanium is abundant in nature (which helps keep price down), but it is difficult to shape – the techniques needed to refine it enough to shape for jewellery have only recently been developed. This hardness means that Titanium is non-toxic, which means it’s excellent for those with allergies or sensitive skin – in fact, titanium is often used for surgical implants due to the fact the human body does not reject its presence. It is resilient against sea water and chlorine so is ideal for those who will want to wear their ring when swimming.
A Titanium Ring is a great choice if you are seeking a tough, durable men’s ring but want one that’s a little lighter in weight.
- Corrosion and tarnish resistant
- Considered to be highly hypoallergenic
- Can be Annodized easily making them available in many colours
- Titanium rings are about 60% lighter in weight compared to tungsten rings
- Great value for money
- Titanium rings do not scratch nearly as easy as stainless steel rings
- Strong and durable, it won’t bend out of shape like a solid gold ring can.
- Won’t conduct heat like gold and silver, so it’s a great choice for chefs, but it still does conduct some electricity.
- Difficult to resize
- Can tend to show scratches – not as much as gold or stainless steel, but not as scratch resistant as the other metals such as Tungsten or Titanium.
- Very difficult to cut, but it is possible with standard emergency cutting tools
How to care for Titanium Rings
Titanium rings are unlikely to tarnish. If your ring picks up any surface dirt, simply wash it in a mild soapy solution, rinse it in cold water and dry with a soft cloth. It’s not infallible so it will pick up some scratches from every day wear and tear. These will be particularly evident at first but then dull to a more pleasing patina. If you get any heavy scratches that you want removed, we can easily refinish the ring for you.
Why choose a Stainless Steel Ring?
Stainless steel rings are perhaps less glamorous-sounding, but also quite resilient. Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon; stainless steel contains a minimum of 10.5% chromium.
Stainless steel is slightly whiter than titanium and zirconium, but still has the contemporary metallic look and won’t be quite as white as the precious metals such as platinum and silver.
Stainless steel is a popular metal for use in wedding rings or dress/fashion rings alike because of its budget-friendly price and because it is easy for jewellers to work with. Other types of steel are either not as durable, or too tough for the craftsmanship required.
A Stainless Steel Ring makes a great choice for those who want a lightweight ring for an affordable price without compromising on looks.
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Available in a large range of designs
- Is comparatively durable
- Budget friendly
- Difficult to be resized
- Can still scratch and dent with wear and tear
- Not suitable for those with sensitive skin
How to care for Stainless Steel rings
Your stainless steel ring can be kept at its best by frequent wiping with a soft cloth to ensure dust and dirt is removed regularly. Be gentle and follow the contours/grain to ensure moving the dirt doesn’t scratch the ring. You can wash the ring in a mild soapy solution and dry carefully, again with a soft cloth. Toothpaste is good for removing marks that have set in, as long as it doesn’t contain silica. Stainless steel polish is readily available and can be used with care on jewellery.
Why Choose a Tungsten Ring?
Tungsten rings are made from tungsten carbide, a compound of tungsten and carbon which is one of the hardest known materials. If you’ve got a ring made from tungsten carbide, worrying about your ring getting scratched isn’t a thing. Tungsten carbide is incredibly hard, so it’s used across different industries where a metal is needed that withstand wear and tear. It’s used in surgical instruments, skis, farriery and ammunition.
Tungsten Rings are a little heavier than other metals (like gold, but much stronger). A durable metal that resists scratches.
- Scratch resistant Finish
- Corrosion and tarnish resistant
- Retains its fantastic polished shine.
- Very strong and tough (up to 10x harder that 18k gold)
- Can easily be Ion Plated or Anodized for a great range of colours.
- Being a heavier metal, it feels much like an expensive ring but without the price tag.
- On your 2,000th anniversary, your wedding ring will look like new!
- More affordable than common precious metals
- Cannot be resized or cut. Contrary to the rumours though, Tungsten can easily be taken off in an emergency. Instead of cutting it, you safely crack or shatter it if required using a standard hammer or specialised tool.
- Our Tungsten rings contain a very small level of Cobalt and Nickel as the binding compound and the Tungsten itself is high quality. If you have super sensitive skin, Titanium may be a better option however our Tungsten rings are still considered Hypoallerganic and generally wont turn your skin green unlike cheaper versions found online. Don’t risk it, buy high quality!
How to care for Tungsten rings
Tungsten is so resilient that surface dirt can be cleaned with a soft cloth in a mild soapy solution. This cleaning process should not cause stains or scratching. Tungsten carbide rings cannot be re-polished like more traditional precious metals due to its hardness, however should retain its beautiful polished finish for years to come.
Make the right choice by shopping at www.ringsforhim.com.au